| South West Region - American Begonia Society
The following are suggestions for branch programs. All of these have
been successfully used by one or more branches. If more details are desired,
if you would like to make an improvement/correction, or if you would like to contribute a program,
just e-mail me at email@example.com.
Program titles shown in Red are available on this web site and can
be reached by clicking the title.
Those shown in Black are still under development.
Program suggestions for Branch Meetings
- Begonias 101 - author unknown.
An introduction to begonias.
- Show Classifications of begonias. - B. Claybaugh.
A discussion of plant growth habits and how this is used in begonia show classifications.
- Begonias of Section Gireoudia - B. Claybaugh.
A review of the characteristics of the begonias of Section Gireoudia.
- Latin American Species - B. Claybaugh.
A review of Latin American begonia species in cultivation.
- Asian Begonias - B. Claybaugh.
A review of asian species in cultivation.
- African Begonias - B. Claybaugh.
A review of african species in cultivation and some of their cultivars.
- Rhizomatous Begonias.
- Minature Begonias.
- Hybrids of selected Hybridizers
General Plant Care
- Growing Begonias -
Classification and General Culture - Bill Claybaugh
- Potting Medium and Fertilizer.
- Grooming for Show.
- Pest Control.
Gardening Under Lights
- Begonias are not Indeterminate- Jack Golding.
A research study on the effects of light on blooming.
Begonias as Yard plants
- Landscaping with Begonias - Tom Keepin.
Recomendations on growing begonias as yard plants including selecting varieties.
- Watering Systems - Bill Claybaugh.
Suggestions for a yard and flowerbed automatic watering system
- Five reasons to hybridize begonias - Freda Holley.
- Growing Begonias from Seeds. - Freda Holley.
Originally presented as a seminar at the SW Region meeting in 1998.
- Growing Begonias from Seeds - two - Freda Holley.
A detailed outline of how to grow from seed to seedling.
- Vegetative Propagation of Begonias. - Bill Claybaugh.
Several techniques to propagate from stems and leaves.
- Rhizomatous Roundup. - Leigh Boyer.
An overview on propagation of rhizomatous begonias
- Plants Botanical Description and Nomenclature.
- Inflorescence and Flower Description.
- Use of the Begoniaceae Key for plant identification.
- Botanical garden visits.
- Branch Visits.
- Home visits and picnics.
- Shipping cuttings and plants - Bill Claybaugh.
A "how-to" lesson on shipping plants and parts.
- Getting ready for Winter.
- Getting ready for Summer.
Workshops and Group Events
- Show and Tell.
- Mounting begonias on wall boards - Tom Keepin.
A detailed review of materials and techniques for mounting begonias on wall boards.
- Making Hanging Baskets.
- Plants and cuttings Swap.
- Annual Plant Sales
- Sowing seeds